June 12, 2018 -- Lacey Grace of Bradenton, FL, and her two daughters were playing in the pool at her parent’s house in April when the freak accident happened.
Her 4-year-old daughter, Elianna, was playing with a pool noodle, blowing water through it at another family member. When that person went to blow it back at her, the little girl put her mouth on the other end of the noodle at the same moment. So the preschooler inhaled a geyser of water as it rushed through the noodle and straight into her mouth.
“Elianna started gagging right away. We immediately pulled her out of the water and she threw up on the side of the pool,” Grace says. “We all looked at each other like -- is this dangerous? What just happened here?”
Within minutes, Elianna seemed back to her normal self, and 30 minutes later, she wanted to jump back into the pool.
But 2 days later, she got a low-grade fever. Then she stopped eating much and became extremely tired -- sleeping nearly an entire day away. When the fever came back 4 days after the pool incident, Grace took her to urgent care.